What to Do If Stopped By Police
At the Law Offices of Valencia, Ippolito & Bowman, our attorneys provide quality criminal defense to people in the Greater San Jose area. Whenever possible, we recommend that you contact us as soon as you can so we can start providing that defense immediately. While enlisting an experienced criminal defense attorney should be a priority, we understand that you may not be able to reach out to us immediately. In those situations, keep the following information in mind if you are stopped by the San Jose police:
- If the police are at your door, you do not have to answer it.
- If you are stopped while driving a vehicle, pull over to the side of the road and do not be the first one to speak.
- You have the right to speak to an attorney before answering any questions.
- You have the right to remain silent. Do not admit anything. Innocent things you may say may come back to hurt you.
- You do not have to say where you were going, what you were doing, who you were with or how fast you were going. You do not have to say anything.
- The police do not have to tell you the truth, and they can fabricate information.
- Police cannot interrogate you until they read you your rights.
- Do not argue with the officer or make a scene. The officer will remember it.
- Ask if you may leave: "Am I free to go?" If you are free to leave, go.
- Say no to searches of your house or vehicle without a warrant.
- Do not use profanity or foul language. Show respect. Be courteous.
- Keep personal items out of sight.
Our law firm has won numerous awards, including being named Criminal Defense Firm of the Year by San Jose Magazine.
Free Consultation With a San Jose Criminal Defense Lawyer
When you need the help of a California criminal law attorney, call our law firm at 877-766-5245 or send us an e-mail. We offer payment plans, credit card payments and evening or weekend consultations. Se habla español.